NX-Files

nx-files.blogspot.com

Most people have an email address for both services, but will select one for their personal primary email/calendar service.


I used both services but selected Windows Live as my primary. For a long while I regretted this because Google just had so many more user-friendly features (particularly for geeks). A couple of years ago accessing Windows Live from your mobile was difficult.

In January 2011 Windows Live has caught up. It may not be as feature rich as Google, but what it does it does well – and consistently.

In my view, here is why Google is bombing out:

1. Google calendar. Probably my most used Google product has screwed-up on multiple occasions. It screwed up all my reoccurring birthday events. Ical feeds from third parties are continually having problems because Google keeps fiddling with their code.

2. Google login. It's invasive & logs everything you do. I don't like that predictive search thing. And I don't like the 'tailored' adds. It creeps me out, so I always make a point of signing out. Every second website I visit asks for my Google login. No thanks.

3. Google Wave and Google Buzz – both were forced on us, & both have bombed out.

4. Google's battle with Facebook. While it's fun to watch, it's ultimately detrimental to Google because Facebook pwns Google as a social network.

I still love the Google Chrome browser & Google Maps. Google lets you embed stuff into your website. But I'm no longer regret picking Windows Live as my primary & I suspect it'll only get better.

Take home messages:
- Use both services – cherry pick the best from each.
- Competition is good.
- If I find a better calendar I'll use Google even less (ha, log that Google!)

0 comments: